10.31.2010

Week 44 Halloween!

Well I must admit that I love me some Halloween!  
Not because of the scary or evil factor. 
No, I just love to dress up!  
Yes, I'm just a big kid at heart.

I have actually don't three different costumes over the weekend.  

First we have Week 44 of my 52 week project:


This was my original costume idea for last night's festivities at our church, but I changed at last minute from this butterfly, gothic-y fairy character to this scarecrow:


This is a costume I made almost 20 years ago for a Wizard of Oz, Lion, Tin Man, and Scarecrow costume contest my friends and I entered.  It has been used many times over the years and actually won me first place last night! 

Friday at work we set up a trick or treat table for the kiddos at the daycare associated with the college where I work, and our theme was witches, so there I am (far right) as a witch.  (digging those witches hats we found at Wal-Mart!)




I must say that being a Christian, I know that this secular holiday is not really "celebrated" but I do enjoy the fun that surrounds October 31st - the Fall chill in the air, the candy, food, smells and of course the costumes!!! 

I just think you have to know - and teach your children - that this is a make believe holiday and embrace the positive - eliminate the negative - make it a time for fellowship and fun and a lesson in NOT being afraid.

Isaiah 43:5 Do not be afraid, for I am with you...
and
Psalm 28:7 The LORD is my strength, my shield from every danger. I trust in him with all my heart...
  
Make it a day for treats and love and smiles! :) 

8 comments:

Deana said...

All 3costumes are awesome, but the first one is hot, hot, hot! Have a great week, Kim!

JJ Sobey said...

I really like your attitude towards Halloween. When I was little we were not allowed to trick or treat, because the admin at our Christian school discouraged it. I can tell you = we didn't learn from it, we resented it.

I swore I wouldn't do that to my own kids - balance is important, and so are teachable moments.

Lynne said...

Great thoughts on Halloween. I love the gothicy/butterfly get up picture. Terrific!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee your views on Halloween... and I totally agree (And PS... I am LOVING that bumper sticker!)... I loveeeeeeeeeee your costumes too.. but I MUST say..I AM LOVING the PURPLE hair!! VERY HOT! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Bekka said...

You + purple hair = my day made. :)

Love your take on Halloween. I'm actually not a huge fan (I dispise the smell of differnt candy mixed togther...weird, huh?), but I've had more fun in the last couple of years doing trunk or treat at our church. And now I'm all excited about what Liam will be next year! These are some great verses.

Anonymous said...

Love your Halloween pic! You look wickedly fantastic!

Marit said...

I love all your costumes, but I do love the purple hair the most! Wowzah!

Kara said...

Hahaha. You're awesome!